Thursday, October 15, 2009

20 Weeks - Halfway there!

All is fine and dandy in pregnancy land. I can't believe how fast this time has gone and I really can't believe I am 20 weeks pregnant. I guess that makes me about 5 months, which sounds kind of crazy. It seems like just yesterday I was holding that positive pregnancy test in my hand in disbelief. I mean, if time doesn't go by fast, then tell me: how is my daughter going to be 2 years old next month!?!? Oh my!

So, other than one little problem, I have been feeling great. For about a week now, I've been having some pretty uncomfortable back pains. I had the same exact problem when pregnant with Addison. The pain goes from the middle of my back and wraps around to my ribs. It's really painful, almost to the point that I want to pass out. The pain occurs mostly at night or after I've sat in one position for too long (like in the car for over an hour). I do find that the pain often starts after I've eaten a large meal. Unfortunately, my raging appetite isn't helping that matter.

I have been receiving nightly back rubs from my supportive husband and that combined with laying in bed seems to do the trick. By morning I am good as new.

This little boy is a mover. It seems he's constantly kicking and just a couple of days ago, I started being able to feel gentle kicks from the outside. Just when I'm about to call Dustin over to feel, he stops...then picks it up again. It's so fun to feel him dancing all around. I love knowing that I am giving him a comfortable little haven for him to do his thing.

Dustin and I picked out the nursery furniture last weekend. I had narrowed it down to a couple of manufacturers and really had my eye on a particular line. The problem was that there wasn't a dealer in Columbus. There was one in Cincinnati though, just 45 minutes from my parents. So, we headed down Saturday morning to take a look at it and loved it from the minute we set eyes on it. I was hoping this would be the case because there wasn't really anything else that I liked. Picky? Just a little.

We ended up going with the Karisma line from Romina. Romina is a European manufacturer and all of there furniture is 100% solid wood, which was a big seller for us. As soon as Dustin saw the self-closing dove-tailed drawers, he was sold! The hope is that Baby Boy can use this furniture when he is a Big Boy and maybe even someday for his own child. We had the same thought in mind when we purchased Addison's bedroom set and have been very pleased with our investment.

The furniture is expected to take 14-16 weeks to come in. Geez! It will be worth the wait. Now I need to figure out how we're going to decorate this little guys room. I have a couple of thoughts, but other ideas are welcome if anyone has something fun and creative to share.

-------------------------------------------------
How your baby's growing:

Your baby weighs about 10 1/2 ounces now. He's also around 6 1/2 inches long from head to bottom and about 10 inches from head to heel — the length of a banana. (For the first 20 weeks, when a baby's legs are curled up against his torso and hard to measure, measurements are taken from the top of his head to his bottom — the "crown to rump" measurement. After 20 weeks, he's measured from head to toe.)

He's swallowing more these days, which is good practice for his digestive system. He's also producing meconium, a black, sticky by-product of digestion. This gooey substance will accumulate in his bowels, and you'll see it in his first soiled diaper (some babies pass meconium in the womb or during delivery).
-------------------------------------------------
I see a definite difference between the 19 week and 20 week belly. I feel like it's a lot bigger in person than it comes across in the pictures. One of these days I need to take a picture after I've had dinner. It's probably my imagination, but it seems to double in size....then deflates by morning. Gotta love bloat!



2 comments:

The Goldmans said...

"As soon as Dustin saw the self-closing dove-tailed drawers, he was sold!"

That is EXACTLY what sold Grant on the Munire furniture we bought...Grant is such an engineer in all aspects of his life.

Kristin said...

You look amazing, Kris!! So fun you guys found the little guys furniture!!