Monday, September 28, 2009

911

"9-1-1, What's your emergency?"

That's what we're assuming Addison heard tonight when she called 911 from Dustin's cell phone. At least that's what we heard when we called them back after they left a message for us to let us know that they received a call from his phone and were going to send someone to our house unless we called them back immediately.

Yes, she's my daughter. Except I didn't make the call until I was 11 (I think) when I accidentally hit the wrong speed dial button in my attempt to win a Bobby Brown cassette tape on a radio giveaway. Julie (my younger sister) and I were home alone and thought we were going to be in such big trouble. So, we didn't answer their call backs. Finally, after several attempts, I picked up and the dispatcher told me that they had to send police out to the house to make sure everything was okay. I cried and pleaded with them to do no such thing, that everything was okay and it was an accident. They weren't giving in, it was their policy. So I begged that they not arrest me when they came. I was so scared I was going to be walking out of my house in handcuffs!

Within minutes, an officer showed up to our door, only to find both of us crying our eyes out. Accompanying the officer was a familiar face. It was McGruff, the crime dog. Do you know the one? Julie and I had attended McGruff summer camp for the previous few years and he had also come to our school on occasion. I think it was then that we settled down a bit, at least to the point that our sobs turned to intermittent cries as we tried to catch our breath. They explained to us why it was important for them to come even though we had told them everything was okay. Something along the lines of "someone could be holding a gun to your head making you say those things". Yeah, that one didn't give us nightmares for months!

Though everything turned out okay and the County Jail didn't become my new home, I am glad that Addison didn't have to go through the consequences of accidentally dialing 911. She may have cried like she did 2 weeks ago during her first encounter with law enforcement. Though she probably just would have smiled at the officer and said "Ooopsie Daisy" (her favorite phrase for the past week). :)

4 comments:

Cristi said...

Funny post!

Kristin said...

Oh my gosh!! Too funny!!!

Lori said...

I remember that. :) incident when you were 11. So I guess you explained to Addison what 911 really was. She is so smart.:)

The Goldmans said...

That is hilarious! She is such a smarty pants!