Thursday, September 24, 2009

17 weeks

17 weeks, baby.

Someone this week said to me "you're halfway there" and I just wanted to scream, "No way, Jose! This baby is making it to term!" I didn't, of course, because I think the person was just making a passing statement without really doing an exact calculation. I just politely shook my head and moved on. Anyway, if you are judging the halfway point based on my pregnancy with Addison, I would have been there a week and a half ago!

I was shopping today with a friend and found the cutest shirt at Anthropologie. I thought it would be a nice, comfy fall shirt and Addison liked it because it had owls on it. I couldn't decide what size to get because I didn't want it to be too big now, but also wanted to be able to wear it as my belly grows. I usually wear an XS, but started with trying on a small. It fit perfectly with a little room to spare. The store employee who was working the dressing rooms saw my hesitation and inquired. Once I told her I was expecting, she ran to get me a medium. It was a little baggier than I would have liked, so I still wasn't sure about it. She said "Oh, I bet once you're 3 months or so, you'll fill the medium out very nicely". Again, I just agreed and carried on. :)

So, with that being said, here's what the peanut and I have to show for ourselves this week:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This week's email from babycenter.com was very short. It's almost as if the writers got lazy this week!

How your baby's growing:
Your baby's skeleton is changing from soft cartilage to bone, and the umbilical cord — her lifeline to the placenta — is growing stronger and thicker. Your baby weighs 5 ounces now (about as much as a turnip), and she's around 5 inches long from head to bottom. She can move her joints, and her sweat glands are starting to develop.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One recent and very exciting development is that I am now feeling the baby move. I am feeling those first flutters (or popcorn pops as I think it is best described) that I didn't feel with Addison until I was 21 weeks. I've heard you will recognize these movements earlier with subsequent pregnancies and I have to agree. I have been waiting for this moment. It is really fun and reassuring to feel these movements and makes the pregnancy seem a little more real to me. A part of me still doesn't believe my good fortune, perhaps?

So, tomorrow is the day I have my fetal anatomy survey (aka the big ultrasound). I am so very excited, yet nervous. For some reason I am having a bit of anxiety about everything. If you wouldn't mind saying a quick prayer that the peanut is doing great, looks perfect and is developing normally, I would really appreciate it. I'm just a little more of a worrywart these days!

Oh and much less important but still worthy of a request is to keep your fingers crossed that the peanut spreads 'em tomorrow so we can start calling "it" a he or she!! Stay tuned.... :) :) :) :)

1 comment:

Cristi said...

Praying for good news! In His Name!