Monday, July 7, 2008

Canada, eh?

We left Chicago and headed to Manitoulin Island in the Ontario province of Canada. It sits on Lake Huron and is the largest freshwater island in the world. Vacationing there is a Frazier family tradition. My Grandpa has been going there for like a hundred years (or maybe just 40ish?) and my Daddy has been going since he was 1. When Daddy first met Mommy he told her that he wanted to take her there, too. Mommy asked if they could go to Mexico instead. Daddy said sure, but that he still wanted to take her to Canada! Mommy never could have imagined that Canada would be such a lovely vacation spot....nor did she EVER think she would have to put a worm on a fishing pole, take the fish off the hook (once she caught one) and then fillet it to eat for dinner! Mommy is a true fisherwoman. She catches just as many fish as the guys (sometimes more!) and loves it. In a few years she is going to show me the secret so I can catch a fish, too.

On the day we arrived, Mommy and Daddy wanted to show me the sandy beach that Grandma and Grandpa built. You would have thought we were in the Caribbean! ha ha

This was Bubba's 3rd year up to Canada so he was an old pro and quickly made himself at home.

Please excuse my pouty face. That's what a 12 hour drive does to a girl!

This is Grandma and Grandpa's cabin. It is so cozy inside. We spend a lot of our time in there eating, sitting by the fire, reading, and playing cards.

As the Frazier family grew, the cabin became smaller. So Grandma and Grandpa built us this. The bottom holds the boats and the top has 3 bedrooms, a large living area, bathroom and will soon have a full kitchen. Maybe once that's installed, Grandma won't have to cook all the meals! That middle window is my bedroom. I share it with my cousin, Aaron, and someday I'll probably share it with other cousins and hopefully some siblings. It will be so much fun! I already called top bunk!


Canada doesn't celebrate Independence day on the 4th of July. Instead, they celebrate Canada Day on July 1st. We went into town to celebrate Canada day. We went to the shops, had ice cream (well, I didn't have any of course!) and waited for the Canada Day parade. And waited. And waited. And waited. Then some nice man told Grandma that it wasn't happening this year. I guess when you live in a town with a population of less than 1,000, you can kind of just make those decisions last minute. :) We still had a lot of fun.

Aaron and I waiting for the parade to start.

Hey Addison, you still over there? Do you think this thing is going to happen or what?

Daddy holding me with the post office in the background. That one is for you, Poppy!

Me and Mommy.

Mommy knows just where my sweet spot is.

The Frazier family on the docks.

Mommy, Daddy, and me on the docks.

Look at me sitting up all by myself. Pretty soon I'm going to have enough balance to sit and play at the same time!





Remember how I told you that Mommy was the best fisherwoman? Here is a picture of some Bass that she, Daddy, and Grandpa caught. Wrigley joins them on all their fishing trips which is why he got to be in the picture, too.

Mommy and me at the Farmer's Market.
Celebrating July 4th on the beach.

Oh, say does that star-spangled banner yet wave...

I know you're not supposed to burn the American flag, but is there a law against eating it?
All week I kept begging Mommy and Daddy to take me out on the boat. They kept saying I was too little or the water was too rough or next time. Well, next time finally happened on our last day there. We didn't go far...just circled outside the dock for some picture opportunities. Don't worry, my Dora the Explorer life jacket wasn't far!

Me, Daddy, and Grandpa.

I am Grandpa's co-captain. Aye, matey!

Helping Mommy drive the boat.

Me and Mommy boating.

As you can see, we had a lot of fun on vacation. I can't wait till next year!

1 comment:

Cristi said...

Hope you are feeling as great as you look. That little girl is so beautiful. Glad yall had a great trip.