Friday, June 6, 2008

Our cold is nearing the end....we think!

It has been a long week. Sick babies are no fun. Actually, surprisingly Addison hasn't been too fussy. She still smiles and laughs and LOVES when her daddy comes home from work. I get tears in my eyes every time she gives me a signature grin because I think about how miserable she feels, yet she is still sweet enough to give me lovin'. She developed this nasty little cough a few days ago, which took us back to the doctor. Unfortunately they couldn't do anything for us, so I've been praying for patience as we wait it out! Every time she would cough, a raspy little cry would follow. It was so sad, I could hardly bear it. I could just feel her pain each time her little chest would rattle. Knowing that she's a preemie with underdeveloped lungs made it even more difficult to handle!

Oh, and you should see what I get out of her nose. Holy crap! Okay, so I have to admit, I am semi-obsessive about boogers. Every time I see that Addison has one up there, I just can't wait for it to work it's way down so I can get it! My mom and mother-in-law often have to remind me that even though the boogers bother me, they aren't bothering Addison and to leave it alone! My sister-in-law told me about this battery operated nasal aspirator that plays music and being the nasal aspirating enthusiast that I am, I had to get one. I didn't have the chance to use it until this week and boy am I glad I had the handy dandy little guy. It has been my best friend all week. Addison's, too. The girl loves it. She gets all wide eyed and excited every time she sees it. I know what you're thinking - she's probably scared to death -but I swear she really likes it! I start the music and she just sits there like a little angel and lets me suck all the bad stuff from her nose. It is so gratifying...for both of us. Immediately my stuffed-up little girl can breathe and feels so much better. I then go to the sink, take apart the contraption and watch inches of mucus ooze it's way into my sink. I love that part! I haven't found too many baby items that I "can't live without" (this makes 3), so when I find one, I just have to share. Here it is...drum roll please....the Bebesounds Nasal Clear Nasal Aspirator:
As I mentioned before, we transitioned Addison to her crib last week and she did amazingly well. Well, due to this wicked little cold, she went back into her car seat. I hated to take the step backwards, but I couldn't bear to lay her flat on her back being as congested as she was. This week made me realize how spoiled we had become with her sleeping through the night. She had a few nighttime wakings, mostly when she would cough. Each little cry said "Mommy, come hold me". So, I would. One night I was so tired and turned off the monitor. When I woke up 45 minutes later, I realized she was still crying. I immediately ran up to her and promised her that I wouldn't ever do that again (not while she is feeling so yucky, at least). The guilt. Let me tell you about the guilt. No, never mind...I'm sure a lot of you can relate.
So, today I was comfortable putting her back into her crib. The naps didn't go so well, but she went down for the night at 7pm and with the exception of crying from getting her arm stuck in the crib slats, it's been quiet so far (it's 9:30pm now). Wish us luck!
If this arm in the crib slat thing happens again, you can bet what the 4th baby item "I can't live without" will be....a breathable bumper.

1 comment:

Julie said...

So what are items 1 & 2 that you can't live without????