Tuesday, June 3, 2008

More on the Avon Walk for Breast cancer

This is quoted from mommy's best friend in the entire world, Emily, who walked 39+ miles in honor of mommy last weekend:

This past weekend, I participated in the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer to help support those fighting breast cancer. I was one of 4,000 participants walking for a cure. We raised $9.1 million…7 new grants totaling over $4 million have already been distributed throughout the Chicago area from this funding. It was through the support of you, my family and friends, that I was able to accomplish my goals…I raised over $2,000 and walked 39.3 miles. Walking 26.2 miles in 9 hours on Saturday and another 13.1 miles in 5 hours on Sunday wasn’t easy…to put it into perspective, downtown Chicago to O’Hare airport is 17 miles…a round trip between downtown and the airport falls about 5 miles short of what I walked…and to think I have been wasting all this money on cabs when I could just walk to and from the airport.

While the walk may have been one of the hardest things I have ever faced, it pales in comparison to what breast cancer survivors face every day. A poster along the way said it all…blisters don’t need chemo. Throughout the walk, I was amazed by the gratitude and support of volunteers and supporters. Over and over, we heard people say “thank you for walking.” Those volunteers, those families touched by breast cancer cheering us on, and the 289 survivors participating kept me going. At mile 20, the fatigue set in…the aching legs, the tired feet… but my inspiration for this walk, my best friend Kristi, kept me going. I even pictured her walking with us at one point…although as my friend Kate pointed out, Kristi’s competitive spirit would have meant we most likely wouldn’t be able to keep up with her!

First of all, Aunt Emily, what you wrote was very nice. Mommy and I think you are amazing and we are soooooooo proud of you! Second of all, do you know how many cute outfits you will be able to buy me with all that money you're going to save from walking to the airport from now on? Lastly, we're going to have to discuss your last comment about my mommy's "competitive spirit". Really, you're just going to have to expand on that because I haven't noticed?!?! :)

No comments: