Friday, December 4, 2009

27 weeks

Yesterday marked 27 weeks of being pregnant with our baby boy. The last couple of weeks have been a little tense as I had to take the 3 hour glucose tolerance test (GTT) after failing the 1 hour. I was pretty confident that I would be fine, but then I make the silly mistake of getting on the internet (so typical) and start reading about symptoms of gestational diabetes and even worse, side effects and possible outcomes, and all confidence is shattered. Like I said before, being diagnosed with Gestational Diabetes isn't the worse thing that could happen (not even close to it), but it is something I didn't necessarily want to have to deal with.
So, the good news is that I passed the 3 hour. WOOHOOOOOOOO! I think the call I received telling me the results ranks up there as one of the happiest single moments of my adult life (engagement, wedding, birth of Addison, Addison's homecoming, last cancer treatment, positive pregnancy test with baby boy, and negative for gestational diabetes). Yup, it definitely belongs with that group of happy moments. I was just plain giddy upon hearing the good news and seriously wanted to call everyone I knew. I know, I'm pathetic!
Anyway, my levels ranged from 66-84 during the 3 hour GTT (compared to 174, which is what I tested at my 1 hour screening). The nurse said these levels are pretty low and flat so I should be sure to eat every 2-3 hours so I don't get symptomatic for low blood sugar levels. Sure, I can do that!
Anyway, with that behind me, I feel a huge weight lifted off my shoulder...though I've probably made up for that by putting on a few pounds elsewhere. This would be due to the fact that I have been celebrating this week with cake, cupcakes, cookies, chocolate and strawberry shortcake...to name a few. I suppose I made myself believe that I wouldn't be able to eat these things for the remainder of my pregnancy that once I found out I actually could (though I still probably shouldn't!), I went hog wild. I just crave sweets now.
Wait, who am I kidding? I've craved sweets this entire pregnancy!
That's pretty much the big news of the week. My ribs/back is manageable most of the time. It's only on my left side, which is weird. Though that is where his legs/feet are, so maybe it's not too weird. And, I have a pretty small rib cage so I imagine the pain is also coming from the ribs trying to expand. I have a new pain on the top of my foot, which is making it hard to walk and go up and down stairs, of which we have about a million in our house. I think it might be due to some trauma to my foot a few months back and could possibly be tendinitis or a stress fracture (based on my reliable internet research). I'm on day 5 of the pain and it's not getting better - worse actually - but I am going to give it a few more days before I have someone look at it.

-----------------------------------------------------------

And here's a little info about the peanut.......
How your baby's growing:
This week, your baby weighs almost 2 pounds (like a head of cauliflower) and is about 14 1/2 inches long with her legs extended. She's sleeping and waking at regular intervals, opening and closing her eyes, and perhaps even sucking her fingers. With more brain tissue developing, your baby's brain is very active now. While her lungs are still immature, they would be capable of functioning — with a lot of medical help — if she were to be born now. Chalk up any tiny rhythmic movements you may be feeling to a case of baby hiccups, which may be common from now on. Each episode usually lasts only a few moments, and they don't bother her, so just relax and enjoy the tickle.
-----------------------------------------------------------

A LOT of people have recently been inquiring about a name. We do have one picked out...decided on it the day after we found out it was a boy...and maybe, just maybe I will announce it soon. Wait for it. Wait for it. :)

Who was in belly withdrawal last week? Thought you may have been. Haa!!

Here's your weekly fix.....



No comments: